A hundred years ago this month a plan by Warminster Urban Council to build new houses at Chitterne was celebrated with an official ceremony. We know those houses as Abdon Close, but that name was not adopted until 40 years later. At first the houses were known as Council Houses or Council Cottages.
In 1920 Housing Schemes were a modern idea that came about as a result of a statement made by David Lloyd George, leader of the parliamentary coalition, in a speech the day after Armistice Day. He said the government would facilitate the building of: “Habitations fit for heroes who have won the war.” Later interpreted by the media as the more famous: “Houses fit for heroes.” Thus Council houses were born out of the need to house troops returning from foreign battlefields.
The first few houses in Chitterne were built on a spare patch of land on the opposite side of the Cut from Chitterne Lodge. They were approached by a footpath from Townsend and had long front gardens. Building started 1923/4 and by 1925 all eight houses were occupied.
The first residents of Number 1 were teachers, not returning servicemen at all. Mary Watson and Maud New taught at the village school.
After the second world war another pair of semi-detached houses were built, and in 1962/3 Warminster & Westbury Rural District Council added the eight flats. At the same time the footpath was widened into a road for vehicles and the new name Abdon Close was adopted after local builder, Abdon Polden, who had once owned the land.