A group of farm workers from Manor Farm, Chitterne enjoying their ‘nammit’ at the roadside in 1928. They are left to right: Leslie Jay, George ‘Spriggy’ Dowdell, Albert Dowdell, his wife Beatrice, Reginald Burnett and his mother Ellen Burnett.
Leslie and George lived at Great House, which is now Coach House, but in those days it was divided up into separate cottages for workers on the farm. George lived with his widowed mother Eliza Dowdell nee Jay, and Leslie lodged with them.
Albert was George’s older brother who’d married Beatrice Blake a couple of years earlier. He was a carter, like his father, for Farmer Collins at Manor Farm. Manor Farm is now a part of Chitterne Farm and known as Chitterne Farm East.
The Burnetts, Ellen and Frederick, and their son Reginald lived at 7 Abdon Close.
Originally a nammit was a woven straw basket used by farmworkers to carry food and drink to the field for the midday break, but nammit also came to be used for the food itself. So perhaps Beatrice and Ellen had brought nammit for Reginald who may have been helping the men out.